PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women? (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/are-cosmetics-bad-for-pregnant-women-173/)

Baha 11-18-2012 11:41 AM

Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women?

Are cosmetics really bad for pregnant women? I've read that make-ups which contain parabens and phthalates could lead to birth defects. As soon as I've read about it, I stopped using my favorite foundation and lipstick. Don't wanna name them. Apparently, they do have parabens and phthalates.
Is this true? Do you know anyone who loves piling on make-up during pregnancy who happen to have healthy kids later? Care to share any organic or paraben/phthalate free cosmetics?

Adalira 11-18-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women?

Prior to my getting pregnant, I have been very much interested with organic cosmetics. They are not only safe to be used by expecting moms but using paraben free makeups do lower the instances of getting cancer. The all natural primer, foundation and blush by Christopher Drummond Beauty (CDB) are the best. But organic cosmetics do have a shorter shelf-life than those containing preservatives, so you might wanna limit your shopping spree moments when pregnant.

Gaetana 11-20-2012 06:53 PM

I used cosmetics during my pregnancy and fortunately my kids are all healthy. I'm not so into cream foundations though. Mascara, lip balm and some moisturizer and I'm good to go. Paraben-free cosmetics were not that popular way back in early 2000. If they were, I'd opt for one indeed.

Idalia 11-29-2012 08:51 PM

Organic ones are the best during pregnancy but hear these: either they are unscented or awfully scented! :eek:

Adalira 12-22-2012 11:55 PM

I so agree with you Idalia. That's what I don't like about them, they're awfully scented, thing is because they're organic. But you'll be surprised how good they are to you and your baby!

Baha 12-29-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalira (Post 208)
Prior to my getting pregnant, I have been very much interested with organic cosmetics. They are not only safe to be used by expecting moms but using paraben free makeups do lower the instances of getting cancer. The all natural primer, foundation and blush by Christopher Drummond Beauty (CDB) are the best. But organic cosmetics do have a shorter shelf-life than those containing preservatives, so you might wanna limit your shopping spree moments when pregnant.

Oh, I've heard about CDB but haven't tried it yet :(

Baha 12-29-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetana (Post 254)
I used cosmetics during my pregnancy and fortunately my kids are all healthy. I'm not so into cream foundations though. Mascara, lip balm and some moisturizer and I'm good to go. Paraben-free cosmetics were not that popular way back in early 2000. If they were, I'd opt for one indeed.

Yeah, that's what I did now. I stopped myself from using liquid foundation and only wore super light make up when we have to attend some parties or events. Now, even the different organic cosmetics are overwhelming.

@Idalia and Adalira - Awfully scented because it's organic and nonetheless only the pure and good!

Halia 01-05-2013 10:45 AM

I haven't tried an organic make-up yet. Some cosmetics could be harmful to the unborn babies,
especially those with chemicals and preservatives. I could use a little blush and mascara but I'm
wary using lip balm or lipsticks as they're ingested easily coz applied on the lips.
BTW, those anti-aging should be avoided because they have high doses of Vitamin A which is bad for the baby :(

Idalia 01-24-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 1198)
... BTW, those anti-aging should be avoided because they have high doses of Vitamin A which is bad for the baby :(

Exactly. This is so not a good time for those anti-aging products as I think our hormones could only do two things to us during pregnancy- make us bloom or put our skins and faces in doom!

Fanny 02-03-2013 11:33 AM

I think I couldn't live without lipstick when I get pregnant so might opt for organic ones albeit their odd scent.