PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women? (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/are-cosmetics-bad-for-pregnant-women-173/)

Baha 11-18-2012 11:41 AM

Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women?

Are cosmetics really bad for pregnant women? I've read that make-ups which contain parabens and phthalates could lead to birth defects. As soon as I've read about it, I stopped using my favorite foundation and lipstick. Don't wanna name them. Apparently, they do have parabens and phthalates.
Is this true? Do you know anyone who loves piling on make-up during pregnancy who happen to have healthy kids later? Care to share any organic or paraben/phthalate free cosmetics?

Adalira 11-18-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Are cosmetics bad for pregnant women?

Prior to my getting pregnant, I have been very much interested with organic cosmetics. They are not only safe to be used by expecting moms but using paraben free makeups do lower the instances of getting cancer. The all natural primer, foundation and blush by Christopher Drummond Beauty (CDB) are the best. But organic cosmetics do have a shorter shelf-life than those containing preservatives, so you might wanna limit your shopping spree moments when pregnant.

Gaetana 11-20-2012 06:53 PM

I used cosmetics during my pregnancy and fortunately my kids are all healthy. I'm not so into cream foundations though. Mascara, lip balm and some moisturizer and I'm good to go. Paraben-free cosmetics were not that popular way back in early 2000. If they were, I'd opt for one indeed.

Idalia 11-29-2012 08:51 PM

Organic ones are the best during pregnancy but hear these: either they are unscented or awfully scented! :eek:

Adalira 12-22-2012 11:55 PM

I so agree with you Idalia. That's what I don't like about them, they're awfully scented, thing is because they're organic. But you'll be surprised how good they are to you and your baby!

Baha 12-29-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalira (Post 208)
Prior to my getting pregnant, I have been very much interested with organic cosmetics. They are not only safe to be used by expecting moms but using paraben free makeups do lower the instances of getting cancer. The all natural primer, foundation and blush by Christopher Drummond Beauty (CDB) are the best. But organic cosmetics do have a shorter shelf-life than those containing preservatives, so you might wanna limit your shopping spree moments when pregnant.

Oh, I've heard about CDB but haven't tried it yet :(

Baha 12-29-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetana (Post 254)
I used cosmetics during my pregnancy and fortunately my kids are all healthy. I'm not so into cream foundations though. Mascara, lip balm and some moisturizer and I'm good to go. Paraben-free cosmetics were not that popular way back in early 2000. If they were, I'd opt for one indeed.

Yeah, that's what I did now. I stopped myself from using liquid foundation and only wore super light make up when we have to attend some parties or events. Now, even the different organic cosmetics are overwhelming.

@Idalia and Adalira - Awfully scented because it's organic and nonetheless only the pure and good!

Halia 01-05-2013 10:45 AM

I haven't tried an organic make-up yet. Some cosmetics could be harmful to the unborn babies,
especially those with chemicals and preservatives. I could use a little blush and mascara but I'm
wary using lip balm or lipsticks as they're ingested easily coz applied on the lips.
BTW, those anti-aging should be avoided because they have high doses of Vitamin A which is bad for the baby :(

Idalia 01-24-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 1198)
... BTW, those anti-aging should be avoided because they have high doses of Vitamin A which is bad for the baby :(

Exactly. This is so not a good time for those anti-aging products as I think our hormones could only do two things to us during pregnancy- make us bloom or put our skins and faces in doom!

Fanny 02-03-2013 11:33 AM

I think I couldn't live without lipstick when I get pregnant so might opt for organic ones albeit their odd scent.

Abana 02-07-2013 09:47 PM

I guess a little won't be harmful. Just the right amount to put a little color or add some "flush" to our skin should be fine.

Fabiola 02-10-2013 03:59 AM

I've been wearing make up when I was pregnant... not everyday and not really heavy. Just a bit of face powder, a bit of blush on, mascara, and a gloss. My baby's fine! I guess you just don't have to over do it. ^^

Cadelaria 02-11-2013 09:56 PM

Check out www.lavera.com
They got a wide array of cosmetics which are all natural, organic and cruelty free. Extra appealing for the animal lovers in us! :)

Idalia 02-22-2013 10:26 PM

I've recently discovered Saffron Rouge. I may not be pregnant but I feel like I'll be a fan of their organic cosmetics, especially the "Raw coconut cream" make-up remover which made my facial cleaning more heavenly. A bit expensive but extremely effective for me especially for my eyelashes.

Fanny 03-07-2013 09:09 AM

Yes, I've heard lavera is awesome but need to figure out a way if they could ship to UK, cadelaria.

Idalia 03-10-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanny (Post 2377)
Yes, I've heard lavera is awesome but need to figure out a way if they could ship to UK, cadelaria.

Never heard if they ship to UK too. I think it's better to contact their customer support team to confirm this.

Edda 03-13-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 2203)
I've recently discovered Saffron Rouge. I may not be pregnant but I feel like I'll be a fan of their organic cosmetics, especially the "Raw coconut cream" make-up remover which made my facial cleaning more heavenly. A bit expensive but extremely effective for me especially for my eyelashes.

Ooh, looks like one great product! Will Google it now... Thanks hun! :)

Daja 03-14-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabiola (Post 1998)
I've been wearing make up when I was pregnant... not everyday and not really heavy. Just a bit of face powder, a bit of blush on, mascara, and a gloss. My baby's fine! I guess you just don't have to over do it. ^^

I personally don't see any problems with make-up during pregancy. It actually makes me feel good about myself :)

Halia 03-20-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daja (Post 2540)
I personally don't see any problems with make-up during pregancy. It actually makes me feel good about myself :)

Less is ok but with the phthalates and paraben present on cosmetics these days, it's sure scary hun.

Cadelaria 03-24-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 2453)
Never heard if they ship to UK too. I think it's better to contact their customer support team to confirm this.

Yes, that's the best thing to do. I'll do it myself too if I get a chance and get back to you!

Idalia 04-07-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edda (Post 2532)
Ooh, looks like one great product! Will Google it now... Thanks hun! :)

Yup. Try it dear, they're amazing! Loved it.

Dalinda 04-13-2013 06:25 PM

Perhaps they're all fine when used in moderation. If you easily get allergic to stuff then you might as well try organic cosmetics in smaller sizes as some may not suit your skin that well enough.

Edda 04-21-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 2892)
Perhaps they're all fine when used in moderation. If you easily get allergic to stuff then you might as well try organic cosmetics in smaller sizes as some may not suit your skin that well enough.

Applicable to organic and non-cosmetics too.

Gaetana 04-21-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abana (Post 1973)
I guess a little won't be harmful. Just the right amount to put a little color or add some "flush" to our skin should be fine.

I so agree with this. Just a little and it shouldn't be fine.

Baha 05-05-2013 01:58 PM

I recently tried Mineral cosmetics (Maybelline) and I love it! I think it's also safe to use by an expectant mom.

Fanny 05-18-2013 07:22 AM

Body Shop has lots of good stuff to choose from.

Dalinda 06-01-2013 11:37 PM

The bad side of organic cosmetics is that they're not that advisable for allergy prone moms.

Fanny 06-29-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 3396)
The bad side of organic cosmetics is that they're not that advisable for allergy prone moms.

Indeed and it's risky to get allergic to stuff while pregnant.

Halia 08-13-2013 09:32 PM

Some Boots stuff are fine with my skin too.

Fanny 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 4054)
Some Boots stuff are fine with my skin too.

Totally agree. I'm a fan too! :) Quality and affordability.

Adalira 09-14-2013 10:06 PM

Lush and Pur Minerals are highly recommendable make up for expectant moms.

Edda 10-08-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalira (Post 4346)
Lush and Pur Minerals are highly recommendable make up for expectant moms.

Oh, Lush. Heard about that gorgeous organic make up!

Cadelaria 10-19-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanny (Post 3239)
Body Shop has lots of good stuff to choose from.

So agreeable coz I'm a fan! :)

Halia 11-29-2013 07:55 PM

I guess it's fine as long as we minimize the use of lipstick as this is typically something we might ingest.

Dalinda 12-28-2013 01:35 AM

Less use of it is safe IMHO.