PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Pregnancy Main Forum (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/pregnancy-main-forum/)
-   -   Is insulin bad for the baby? I have Gestational Diabetes (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/is-insulin-bad-for-the-baby-i-have-gestational-diabetes-216/)

Halia 11-22-2012 09:15 PM

Is insulin bad for the baby? I have Gestational Diabetes

I have diabetes and currently taking insulin for almost months now to control my sugar. My GP assured me that insulins are safe, however is it really THAT safe for the babies' lives later on? :confused::confused:

Abigail 11-23-2012 07:30 AM

Re: Is insulin bad for the baby? I have Gestational Diabetes

I have read somewhere that insulin does not directly affect on the baby because insulin does not pass the placenta. I believe there are sometimes side effects on the baby when the mom is diabetic but I am NOT an expert. That being said, better if you ask your doctor. :)

Dalinda 11-23-2012 07:08 PM

I've read in a medical article that the older versions of insulins like Humalog and Humulin are considered safe as they've been tested on pregnant women. The newer ones like Apidra didn't pass a study among pregnant moms. Don't fret too much on its side effects because as of this moment, controlling your blood sugar levels should be your utmost priority. Being hyperglycemic and hypoglycimic are both fatal to the fetus.

Halia 11-29-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abigail (Post 311)
I have read somewhere that insulin does not directly affect on the baby because insulin does not pass the placenta. I believe there are sometimes side effects on the baby when the mom is diabetic but I am NOT an expert. That being said, better if you ask your doctor. :)

All my gynecologist has said that it's not hazardous to my baby. Well, thanks for that soothing comment! :)

Halia 11-29-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 327)
I've read in a medical article that the older versions of insulins like Humalog and Humulin are considered safe as they've been tested on pregnant women. The newer ones like Apidra didn't pass a study among pregnant moms. Don't fret too much on its side effects because as of this moment, controlling your blood sugar levels should be your utmost priority. Being hyperglycemic and hypoglycimic are both fatal to the fetus.

Is that so? I'm using Humulin. Now I'm gaining an extra dose of peace of mind. That Apidra scares the hell out of me! :eek:

Abana 12-20-2012 07:17 PM

Hey Halia, don't worry, the insulin you're having now is super safe for you and your baby! :)

Adalira 01-31-2013 06:10 PM

My cousin has GDM too and is having insulin shots. I don't think insulin is harmful to the unborn child. Relax!

Fanny 02-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 299)
I have diabetes and currently taking insulin for almost months now to control my sugar. My GP assured me that insulins are safe, however is it really THAT safe for the babies' lives later on? :confused::confused:

I guess not. I mean a lot of pregnant women who suffer GDM use insulin to normalise their blood sugar for years. If insulin is indeed harmful then pharmaceutical companies could have been sued long ago. Don't worry Halia!

Halia 03-10-2013 12:14 AM

Thank you ladies for those comforting words! I appreciate it.
@ Fanny - You made your point and that made me feel better. Cheers! :D

Edda 03-13-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 2425)
Thank you ladies for those comforting words! I appreciate it.
@ Fanny - You made your point and that made me feel better. Cheers! :D

Don't worry Halia, you're doing just fine. Being in doubt with several things is normal during your pregnancy.