PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Essential Threads (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/essential-threads/)
-   -   Teen Pregnancy Thread (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/teen-pregnancy-thread-233/)

Abana 11-24-2012 12:59 AM

Teen Pregnancy Thread

This is the best place to post anything related to Teen Pregnancy.

Dalinda 12-22-2012 07:01 PM

Re: Teen Pregnancy Thread

Teen pregnancy's social impact isn't only the issue. It is risky for the mom's health and that of the baby's.

Read on from: SOURCE

Most teenagers don't plan to get pregnant, but many do. Teen pregnancies carry extra health risks to the mother and the baby. Often, teenagers don't receive timely prenatal care, and they have a higher risk for pregnancy-related high blood pressure and its complications. Risks for the baby include premature birth and a low birthweight.

If you're a pregnant teenager, you can help yourself and your baby by

Taking your prenatal vitamins for your health and to prevent some birth defects
Avoiding smoking, alcohol and drugs
Using a condom, if you are still having sex, to prevent sexually transmitted diseases that could hurt your baby

Edda 12-23-2012 12:24 AM

Teen pregnancy is avoidable, but if it happens, I'm glad a lot of facilities and groups could be gained helped from compared in the 90s when all about it seem a bit of a taboo...

Halia 12-27-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edda (Post 871)
Teen pregnancy is avoidable, but if it happens, I'm glad a lot of facilities and groups could be gained helped from compared in the 90s when all about it seem a bit of a taboo...

You're right. Times have changed. The more instances teen pregnancy happens, the more our culture becomes open-minded on this situation. I think sex education and increasing awareness of how this could be avoided should be done more importantly.

Adalira 01-03-2013 07:36 PM

Not only sex education but utmost guidance and supervision from the parents are a must!

Baha 01-12-2013 02:21 PM

I second ^^ being that these are still "teenagers" the parents are the most accountable in this matter. If our kids our already adults and an unplanned pregnancy happens, then we could only do so much BUT they're already accountable for that... As for me I'll do my best to educate and supervise my kids to be responsible adults later on.

Edda 01-19-2013 06:47 PM

And we could only do so much with that Baha...

Cadelaria 01-28-2013 10:42 PM

I agree... We could only do and hope so much. Reminds me of this quote:

“Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness.
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He also loves the bow that is stable.”

-Kahlil Gibran

Halia 02-05-2013 05:40 PM

Thank you for sharing. I know being pregnant is only the beginning of hard-work and fulfillment.

This line brought me to tears.... :(

"For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams."

Abana 02-23-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 1733)
I agree... We could only do and hope so much. Reminds me of this quote:

“Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness.
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He also loves the bow that is stable.”

-Kahlil Gibran

Thank you for sharing this moving quote. Gosh, the words really brought a lump to my throat.

Abana 02-23-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 1908)
Thank you for sharing. I know being pregnant is only the beginning of hard-work and fulfillment.

This line brought me to tears.... :(

"For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams."

Me too Halia. It's the truth and that's just the painful truth.

Idalia 03-10-2013 01:10 AM

I've checked out this thread just now. I admit, the quote brought me to tears.
:(

Thanks for sharing Cadelaria.

Gaetana 03-14-2013 07:48 PM

Aw, that made me extremely sad. But you're all right, it's the truth no matter how we sugarcoat that fact of life.

Adalira 03-31-2013 01:34 PM

@ Baha - Yes, therefore it's as if we have a time limit in disciplining them. Time flies really fast so we need to maximize the time we teach them the good qualities and spend time with them coz the next time we realize it, they're already adults themselves.

@ Cadelaria - Thank you for sharing a brilliant quote like this. Gave me goosebumps really.

Cadelaria 04-13-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edda (Post 1491)
And we could only do so much with that Baha...

Yes, we do. We could only do, help and dream so much.

You're welcome ladies.... It feels great reading and sharing stuff that were written a long time ago but still affects us in a thousand ways no matter how advanced our technology is these days.

Abana 04-28-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 2917)
Yes, we do. We could only do, help and dream so much.

You're welcome ladies.... It feels great reading and sharing stuff that were written a long time ago but still affects us in a thousand ways no matter how advanced our technology is these days.

It only goes to show that the simplest and most basic things in life are what do matter. :)

Edda 05-11-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetana (Post 2566)
Aw, that made me extremely sad. But you're all right, it's the truth no matter how we sugarcoat that fact of life.

I like that, despite its painful truth indeed.

Halia 05-19-2013 02:46 PM

Come on girls! Let's all take a break from those heartwrenching realities! I'm currently enjoying my newborn baby, who's by the way turning 2 months on the 25th! Keep the quotes with all those good vibes coming, pretty please? :)

Abana 06-01-2013 09:29 PM

It's good to help increase awareness on safe sex and being responsible in avoiding teen pregnancies. But ads like this one won't work IMHO. Sex education is still the key and you couldn't teach them on how to be extra careful and responsible by establishing fear onto teen pregnancy. Good thing this is being slated in NYC.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...nds-square.jpg

source

Abana 06-01-2013 09:34 PM

Another example of a bad ad...

http://colorlines.com/archival_images/teenpreg1.jpg

source

Dalinda 06-01-2013 10:40 PM

Yes Abana, those are just not right. It's sad that young moms are judged for being pregnant way too early. This ad's a fail. :(

Halia 06-20-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 3381)
Yes Abana, those are just not right. It's sad that young moms are judged for being pregnant way too early. This ad's a fail. :(

An epic one. :(

Gaetana 07-06-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abana (Post 3365)

I understand what the purpose of this ad is, to increase awareness in practising safe sex and avoiding teen pregnancy, yeah, we got that. But establishing fear will push them to do so- and if pregnancy has taken place for sure they'd opt for something worse than early pregnancy-abortion-because of THAT fear. Not a good ad, I agree.

Gaetana 07-06-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 3381)

I second. This campaign makes teen pregnancy sound as the most hopeless case in the world. Duh!! My cousin got pregnant when she was 17. Thank God for the guidance and support of the people around her and her being a responsible parent, she was able to finish her school, got a good, stable job, married a good man who has accepted her child as his own and now living a happy family life. I'm not saying that teen pregnancy is a good thing, no, but if it has already happened, I believe that there's still hope to a better life. Parents, educators and the community should help in molding the teen parents in becoming responsible adults.

Dalinda 07-21-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetana (Post 3728)
I second. This campaign makes teen pregnancy sound as the most hopeless case in the world. Duh!! My cousin got pregnant when she was 17. Thank God for the guidance and support of the people around her and her being a responsible parent, she was able to finish her school, got a good, stable job, married a good man who has accepted her child as his own and now living a happy family life. I'm not saying that teen pregnancy is a good thing, no, but if it has already happened, I believe that there's still hope to a better life. Parents, educators and the community should help in molding the teen parents in becoming responsible adults.

Well said Gaetana. Discrimination in this area should be stopped.

Idalia 08-09-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abana (Post 3364)
It's good to help increase awareness on safe sex and being responsible in avoiding teen pregnancies. But ads like this one won't work IMHO. Sex education is still the key and you couldn't teach them on how to be extra careful and responsible by establishing fear onto teen pregnancy. Good thing this is being slated in NYC.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...nds-square.jpg

source

I feel like ads like these that brutally remind young couples to practise safe sex are just fine. This matter is relatable to me. My pregnancy wasn't an unwanted one. It was something that was unprepared for. These ads made teen pregnancy a hopeless case. A dead-end one. I beg to differ. :cool:

Halia 08-12-2013 09:39 PM

^^ @ Idalia- I couldn't agree more. Brutally honest stuff make you realize and internalize on how to look at things. But with matters as sensitive as teen pregnancy, it's not always establishing fear and letting the youth feel like having a child will rob them of a great future ahead. It's best to let them know the real meaning of parenting and family so as they're able to face the consequences of their own actions responsibly.

Gaetana 08-29-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 3979)
I feel like ads like these that brutally remind young couples to practise safe sex are just fine. This matter is relatable to me. My pregnancy wasn't an unwanted one. It was something that was unprepared for. These ads made teen pregnancy a hopeless case. A dead-end one. I beg to differ. :cool:

You've pushed the right button Idalia. Perhaps, focusing on how the youth deals with parenthood at a young age should be given more importance rather than establishing fear of its repercussions which is definitely just on the surface of the bigger issue.

Gaetana 08-29-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 4041)
^^ @ Idalia- I couldn't agree more. Brutally honest stuff make you realize and internalize on how to look at things.

Yes and funding programs that aid the young parents, giving financial assistance for their studies and providing employment opportunities are a few great things that will help them face teen pregnancy with a positive not and not escaping it through abortion due to fear.

Daja 08-30-2013 12:13 AM

@Idalia

I like that one... Hit them hard with the facts :)

Dalinda 09-07-2013 04:25 AM

Governments should be more supportive to the young so as they will be able to raise their kids as responsible adults later on in their lives despite starting difficultly with their own.

Fanny 09-14-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 4266)
Governments should be more supportive to the young so as they will be able to raise their kids as responsible adults later on in their lives despite starting difficultly with their own.

You bet Dalinda! Just exactly what the youth needs these days.

Abana 10-09-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalinda (Post 4266)

Ditto. But with the government shutdown and all the issues our government has to face, I just hope that they'd give extra attention to these kids so they won't go astray.

Idalia 10-27-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abana (Post 4499)
Ditto. But with the government shutdown and all the issues our government has to face, I just hope that they'd give extra attention to these kids so they won't go astray.

Bet the government shutdowns had a great impact on the families in there and in increasing worry amongst you all. I keep praying on your economy's improvement Abana.

Cadelaria 11-17-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 4637)
Bet the government shutdowns had a great impact on the families in there and in increasing worry amongst you all. I keep praying on your economy's improvement Abana.

Hi Idalia! Oh, in behalf of Abana as well, we thank you for your kind message and prayers.

Idalia 11-29-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 4737)
Hi Idalia! Oh, in behalf of Abana as well, we thank you for your kind message and prayers.

No worries friends! :) We're here to support each other.

Baha 12-12-2013 07:01 PM

Indeed they have. Three of my friends that work in the Social Security offices have their work hours being cut recently. It's just so sad...

Fanny 12-18-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 4637)

Yes, that's an effing bad news for our friends in the US. :( Hope it'll be solved the soonest.