PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Essential Threads (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/essential-threads/)
-   -   Nutrition for Moms (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/nutrition-for-moms-325/)

Cadelaria 12-04-2012 09:41 PM

Nutrition for Moms

Hi ladies, I just wanna ask on specific foods or even recipes that are healthy to a pregnant mom and her unborn child. If you could include foods that will make me feel full minus the carbs and sugar then that'll make all of us happy as well! ;)

Thanks!

Adalira 12-05-2012 10:29 PM

Blueberry Buttermilk Cooler

This is my favorite smoothie! <3 <3 <3 :) Here you go:

½ cup lowfat milk

½ cup lowfat buttermilk

½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries

1-2 teaspoons maple syrup, to taste

A few ice cubes

Blend the ingredients until smooth and frothy and serve right away. (Oh and check your teeth before heading out afterwards—blueberry skins can be awkward!)

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/sites/fi...ler_recipe.jpg

recipe source:http://www.fitpregnancy.com/recipe-f...termilk-cooler

Edda 12-23-2012 12:22 AM

Re: Nutrition for Moms

Oh, yummy! I love berries!!

Adalira 01-03-2013 07:50 PM

Thai Shrimp Salad

I'll forever heart salads!! Also love Asian dishes.. Just wanting to share this yummy and healthy meal for pregger or not. Very easy to prepare.

4 cups shredded cabbage and carrot mix1 pound shrimp, peeled and cooked1 cup fresh pineapple, diced1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons fish sauce1/2 teaspoon chili paste1/3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped

Combine shredded cabbage and carrot mix, shrimp, pineapple and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir together next four ingredients (rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and chili paste) in a small bowl. Pour over salad, add roasted peanuts and toss thoroughly to mix.

source

Edda 01-05-2013 03:21 AM

I second ^^! I also loooove salads! But right now I'm craving for cheese macaroni!! Bloody yummy! To anyone posting more pasta and salad recipes, a big cheers to you all!

Abana 01-27-2013 04:30 AM

Hi Cadelaria! A new way to enjoy Mac and Cheese? Here you go... :)

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/sites/fi...node/27131.jpg

Traditional mac-and-cheese recipes can contain up to 1,000 calories and almost 60 grams of fat per serving. Slash the fat by using reduced-fat cheeses; Jarlsberg is particularly good because it has a more piquant flavor than cheddar and thus can be used more sparingly. Nutmeg also helps punch up the flavor.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced yellow onion
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups low-fat (2%) milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 ounces reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese
2 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese
8 ounces dried elbow macaroni, cooked until al dente and drained
2 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion until just soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour and combine thoroughly. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, another 5 minutes, being careful not to let the mixture brown.

Slowly add the milk to the flour mixture, whisking continuously (mixture will be extremely thick at the beginning and will thin out as milk is added). Continue whisking until smooth and flour is incorporated. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and continue to cook, whisking occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Add Jarlsberg and cheddar to the sauce mixture and whisk until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Add cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until combined. Preheat oven to 350* F. Lightly oil an 8-by-8-inch baking dish and add the pasta mixture. Top with shredded sharp yellow cheddar and bake until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.

Nutritional information per serving

Per serving (1 cup): 438 calories, 33% fat (16 g), 48% carbohydrate (53 g), 19% protein (21 g), 1.5 g fiber, 2.5 mg iron, 420 mg calcium, 146 mcg folate

SOURCE

Edda 01-31-2013 07:00 PM

Oh Abana, that is mouthwatering! Yum! :)

Gaetana 02-05-2013 04:52 PM

OOOh, I love that Abana! *yumyum!

Fanny 02-14-2013 09:53 PM

I am so preparing a Mac-and-Cheese now Abana! This thread is ruining my diet! :p

Adalira 03-02-2013 08:09 AM

Sorry no pic :( but it's yummy! :)

source:

Black Skillet Beef with Greens & Red Potatoes

Introduction:

A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables, and a spicy, herb mixture.

Ingredients:

1 lb. top round beef

1 tablespoon paprika

1-1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/8 teaspoon red pepper

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

8 red-skinned potatoes, halved

3 cups finely chopped onion

2 cups beef broth

2 large garlic cloves, minced

2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2-1/2-inch strips

2 bunches mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb. each) coarsely torn as needed nonstick spray coating

1. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8" thick and 3" wide.

2. Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.

3. Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.

4. Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.

5. Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.

6. Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.

7. Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.

Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 7 oz