PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Pregnancy Main Forum (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/pregnancy-main-forum/)
-   -   Alcohol during pregnancy (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/alcohol-during-pregnancy-326/)

Cadelaria 12-04-2012 09:49 PM

Alcohol during pregnancy

I just wanna ask how bad alcohol could be during pregnancy. When I had my first pregnancy, I stopped every urge of munching sweets and unhealthy foods, prevented drinking sodas and foods high in preservatives and also didn't taste a single drop of alcohol. I've had a friend who was pregnant a little ahead of me. She occasionally drank alcohol during her 1st trimester. Years later, her child is healthy and seems to be that there's no problem at all.

Do you have any ideas on the pros and cons of drinking alcoholic drinks while pregnant?

Adalira 12-05-2012 10:19 PM

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

That's FAS or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
Pregnancies do vary. Your friend might be very lucky that her child is doing well now. It might also be because your friend didn't actually drank high amount of alcohol on that time. You really can't prove if she did so. My OB says it's high alcohol consumption when pregnant is very dangerous to the baby as it does cross the placenta. When a baby has FAS, he may have physical and mental defects unfortunately. :(:(

Daja 12-07-2012 08:52 AM

Re: Alcohol during pregnancy

SAY NO TO ALCOHOL! Don't! Just don't! It's not worth the risk.

Abigail 12-11-2012 06:50 AM

I say if it's just a glass of wine then perhaps it's okay. To be sure, just don't drink the hard stuff like gin, vodka, tequila, whiskey...

Cadelaria 12-22-2012 09:39 PM

I appreciate your concerns, thank for the replies!! :)

Cadelaria 12-22-2012 09:42 PM

Thanks for that FAS explanation Adalira.
I know it's not good for the baby, it's just that the results might vary. Of course, I'm not- and will never- wish something wrong should be happening to others taking alcohol while pregnant but I just get shocked with the irony of life that some who are uber-careful tend to have pregnancy full of complications whilst others who just went with the flow do otherwise. Ironic, really. :confused:

Cailyn 01-13-2013 05:15 AM

I have heard that some miscarriages occur because of alcohol drinking. And then of course there are some who drink while pregnant but still manage to have a normal delivery and even a healthy baby. Perhaps it depends on the health of the person and the baby inside... Personally, I really think that pregnant women should avoid drinking alcohol. There will be time for that when the baby is out. ^^

Fabiola 01-17-2013 03:04 AM

I used to have a glass of wine in special dinners... but that does not really occur that much as I am also concerned with the baby. Thankfully, nothing wrong happened to me nor the baby. :)

Adalira 01-18-2013 06:16 PM

Occasional drinking of wine during pregnancy is ok. But those with high alcohol content are very dangerous. :eek:

Gaetana 04-21-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 578)
I just wanna ask how bad alcohol could be during pregnancy. When I had my first pregnancy, I stopped every urge of munching sweets and unhealthy foods, prevented drinking sodas and foods high in preservatives and also didn't taste a single drop of alcohol. I've had a friend who was pregnant a little ahead of me. She occasionally drank alcohol during her 1st trimester. Years later, her child is healthy and seems to be that there's no problem at all.

Do you have any ideas on the pros and cons of drinking alcoholic drinks while pregnant?

Alcohol during pregnancy? It's a big no-no for me.