PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Pregnancy Main Forum (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/pregnancy-main-forum/)
-   -   I'm pregnant and have UTI. What should I do? (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/im-pregnant-and-have-uti-what-should-i-do-382/)

Idalia 12-16-2012 11:40 PM

I'm pregnant and have UTI. What should I do?

Last week, I had difficulty urinating and there was this shooting pain every time I went to the toilet. Good thing I didn't just took the Cotrimoxazole med I've been taking whenever I had Urinary Tract Infection before I got pregnant. I went to my OB GYN and told her the symptoms. I had my urinalysis and my UTI is confirmed. She gave me Cefalexin.

Now I wanna know if there's anything I could take, like herbs or something, to cure UTI during pregnancy. I know Cefalexin is safe but I feel a bit uncomfortable taking antibiotics now that I'm pregnant. Or are there any side effects taking antibiotics when expecting?

Abana 12-20-2012 07:00 PM

Re: UTI when pregnant

hey Idalia, I assure you, Cefalexin is safe. I took that for a week when I had a uti when I was preggy with my first!

Daja 12-21-2012 06:54 AM

Drink a lot of cranberry juice! It helps!

Dalinda 12-22-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daja (Post 817)
Drink a lot of cranberry juice! It helps!

Cranberry works for me too!

And besides that, drinking lots of water will do! Call me old school but it does work!

Gaetana 12-27-2012 09:15 PM

Oh, that cotrimoxazole is a scary antibiotic. Whether having a UTI or not, still best to consult your OB for any weird stuff you feel when pregnant. Taking a med based on your general thinking that it's safe is very dangerous...

Idalia 12-29-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetana (Post 920)
Oh, that cotrimoxazole is a scary antibiotic. Whether having a UTI or not, still best to consult your OB for any weird stuff you feel when pregnant. Taking a med based on your general thinking that it's safe is very dangerous...

Thanks for the concern.

Idalia 12-29-2012 12:26 AM

Thanks for letting me know about how cranberry cures UTI.

Cadelaria 01-12-2013 04:35 PM

Baking soda and water

Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with around 7 to 8 oz of water. Better if it tastes yucky coz it means that it will be effective in increasing the PH levels of the acidic urine while having a UTI. Yucky tasting but definitely cheaper and safe!

Gemma 01-16-2013 12:46 AM

Re: I'm pregnant and have UTI. What should I do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 756)
Last week, I had difficulty urinating and there was this shooting pain every time I went to the toilet. Good thing I didn't just took the Cotrimoxazole med I've been taking whenever I had Urinary Tract Infection before I got pregnant. I went to my OB GYN and told her the symptoms. I had my urinalysis and my UTI is confirmed. She gave me Cefalexin.

Now I wanna know if there's anything I could take, like herbs or something, to cure UTI during pregnancy. I know Cefalexin is safe but I feel a bit uncomfortable taking antibiotics now that I'm pregnant. Or are there any side effects taking antibiotics when expecting?

Cranberry do works. Also, stop drinking Coke, Pepsi, etc. It does not help at all!

Adalira 01-19-2013 04:31 PM

Re: Baking soda and water

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 1353)
Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with around 7 to 8 oz of water. Better if it tastes yucky coz it means that it will be effective in increasing the PH levels of the acidic urine while having a UTI. Yucky tasting but definitely cheaper and safe!

I'll surely keep this in mind. I opt gross tasting natural remedies over meds that are considered "safe" to be taken while pregnant. Better safe than sorry.