PregnancyForum.com

PregnancyForum.com (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/)
-   Pregnancy Main Forum (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/pregnancy-main-forum/)
-   -   Get a sitter or not? (http://www.pregnancyforum.com/get-a-sitter-or-not-292/)

Abana 12-01-2012 06:40 PM

Get a sitter or not?

Which do you prefer?

Staying home to take care of your baby or work and get a nanny?

Baha 12-04-2012 01:08 AM

Re: Get a sitter or not?

Depends whether we're talking about a short-term sitter or a long-term one. I prefer having a sitter for a couple of months after giving birth. Then probably when I get back to work I'd ask my mom or aunt to help me sit. With what's happening in our economy right now, it's impractical to stay home and be a full time mom, unless of course if DH can provide for our needs without my help. But reality bites, we all have bills to pay, so I might as well get a sitter. Or to save money, like what I've mentioned, ask some help and assistance.

Cadelaria 12-04-2012 10:46 PM

Get a sitter

If I'll be pregnant (fingers-crossed) with our 2nd child, we will definitely get a sitter. I think we would not afford losing my job for our bigger family.

Fabiola 12-07-2012 08:43 AM

If you can afford to get one, do it. When I mean afford, I mean not only monetary-wise but emotional and physical too. If you have 2 or more kids already, it would be better if you get a sitter to keep your sanity.
If you're good with money, and can stay at home just being a Mom 24/7 then lucky you! You may not need a sitter anymore.

Gemma 12-15-2012 10:14 PM

I can only wish I can get a sitter! OMG! It would be less stress for me but I still have to think if it would fit on my budget.

Idalia 12-17-2012 12:17 AM

I might not. Getting a sitter is expensive!

Abana 12-20-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baha (Post 566)
Depends whether we're talking about a short-term sitter or a long-term one. I prefer having a sitter for a couple of months after giving birth. Then probably when I get back to work I'd ask my mom or aunt to help me sit. With what's happening in our economy right now, it's impractical to stay home and be a full time mom, unless of course if DH can provide for our needs without my help. But reality bites, we all have bills to pay, so I might as well get a sitter. Or to save money, like what I've mentioned, ask some help and assistance.

I so agree with you Baha. We actually did this with our first baby. It's very difficult to manage our finances while we're on an investment, paying our auto mortgage and of course preparing for our baby's future. So instead of hiring a nanny, we ask for help as much as we can. We give credit to my mom and mom-in-law!!

Daja 12-21-2012 06:57 AM

That's what family is for, right? Helping one another. And, if we're talking about taking care of babies grandma's are all crazy about it.

Fanny 12-23-2012 12:47 AM

With only one child, I might not get one yet. But with 2 I'd hire one for sure. Aupairs are a little expensive but with a growing family, having them is very much ideal.

Abana 01-16-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daja (Post 818)
That's what family is for, right? Helping one another. And, if we're talking about taking care of babies grandma's are all crazy about it.

I so agree! I do feel like they love their grandkids more than their kids, LOL! We love them for that anyways. :)

Fabiola 01-17-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abana (Post 1414)
I so agree! I do feel like they love their grandkids more than their kids, LOL! We love them for that anyways. :)

Of course we love them for that! LOL :p Having a bit of time for ourselves while the grandparents are doting on the baby is always welcome!

Edda 01-19-2013 06:14 PM

I might not get an aupair. It's bloody pricey but if we're considering a number of kids then perhaps getting an aupair is a good idea.

Fanny 01-19-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edda (Post 1485)
I might not get an aupair. It's bloody pricey but if we're considering a number of kids then perhaps getting an aupair is a good idea.

Indeed it is bloody expensive Edda! Au pair costs £7-£10/hour. Not only that, we're also responsible for their health insurance and sending them to school to learn a foreign language. The thing is, if your family is quite big, I think it's all worth it. I have a friend who even paid for the visa requirements for the au pair they're hiring from overseas.

Idalia 01-24-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanny (Post 1512)
Indeed it is bloody expensive Edda! Au pair costs £7-£10/hour. Not only that, we're also responsible for their health insurance and sending them to school to learn a foreign language. The thing is, if your family is quite big, I think it's all worth it. I have a friend who even paid for the visa requirements for the au pair they're hiring from overseas.

Knew someone who has a foreign au pair and didn't realize it's that costly to get one! I won't be getting one for sure.

Gaetana 04-21-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Not pricey at all if you've got a big family indeed.

Idalia 05-18-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Whoa! That costs a lot of quids. Well, if you've got an extremely huge family and property, it might be all worth it. In my case I couldn't afford one so I'd probably be having my mum to stick around.

Halia 05-19-2013 03:03 PM

We didn't get a sitter coz it's a bit expensive. Spent a lot of quids during my delivery. I oftentimes have my mum and my bf's mum come over to help me, especially in my case that I had a C-Section. When I get back to work later this month, I might be asking extra help too from other family members. BF and I are taking turns in caring for Liam and I admit, it's pretty hard and challenging. We seldom get to have any "alone" time together.

Dalinda 06-01-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 3299)
We didn't get a sitter coz it's a bit expensive. Spent a lot of quids during my delivery. I oftentimes have my mum and my bf's mum come over to help me, especially in my case that I had a C-Section. When I get back to work later this month, I might be asking extra help too from other family members. BF and I are taking turns in caring for Liam and I admit, it's pretty hard and challenging. We seldom get to have any "alone" time together.

It's great knowing that you're able to get some assistance from people close to you. But please make time for you and your BF. It's healthy for your relationship and parenting too.

Cailyn 06-02-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 3299)

Perhaps you should give yourselves a bit of time off together... like go for a dinner outside... a picnic... or just a walk in the park ;)

Halia 06-20-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailyn (Post 3403)
Perhaps you should give yourselves a bit of time off together... like go for a dinner outside... a picnic... or just a walk in the park ;)

I agree, we definitely need that. I think after a year we could have adjusted by then. Right now we're getting crazy balancing everything! Aaahh!!

Cailyn 06-24-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 3538)
I agree, we definitely need that. I think after a year we could have adjusted by then. Right now we're getting crazy balancing everything! Aaahh!!

Patience is a virtue that we mothers should all have!

Cadelaria 06-28-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halia (Post 3538)

Don't worry dear. You'll eventually get to the multitasking stage through time and practice. For now, learn all you can and enjoy the challenges of balancing everything- including taking care of yourself.

Fanny 06-29-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 3658)
Don't worry dear. You'll eventually get to the multitasking stage through time and practice. For now, learn all you can and enjoy the challenges of balancing everything- including taking care of yourself.

Uh-huh, she'll get the hang of it for sure! :)

Halia 07-07-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadelaria (Post 3658)

Thanks for those encouraging words. As a working mum with two jobs, I'm so wanting to get a sitter! But most of the time I think it's okay not to have one too coz it's bonding time with my baby that excites me. :)

Adalira 07-10-2013 02:42 AM

Hi everyone, I'm so glad to be back! :)

We will get a nanny for sure but a live-out one perhaps next month.

Baha 08-02-2013 02:25 AM

Right now we've gotten a nanny to assist my mom in taking care of Ericka while hubby and I are working and big sissy is at school.

Idalia 08-31-2013 10:35 PM

I'm just glad to have my mum with us now that Sally Rustica is getting more active each day.

Cadelaria 09-07-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baha (Post 3895)
Right now we've gotten a nanny to assist my mom in taking care of Ericka while hubby and I are working and big sissy is at school.

Good to hear that. It really helps to get some extra hand especially in balancing our career and family life.

Daja 09-16-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idalia (Post 4228)
I'm just glad to have my mum with us now that Sally Rustica is getting more active each day.

Most parents go gaga over their grandkids, so i guess it's a win/win situation :D

Fabiola 09-24-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daja (Post 4359)
Most parents go gaga over their grandkids, so i guess it's a win/win situation :D

I agree! :)

Fanny 11-23-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daja (Post 4359)

I so agree! MIL is extremely crazy over my niece! :)

Cadelaria 12-15-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanny (Post 4786)

I know! I so could relate on this one when my son was born. MIL and mum went crazy about him! Just sweet...

Dalinda 12-28-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanny (Post 4786)

Our parents love us but with our kids it's always doubles up! :)